Horticultural Therapy Program Plan: Greenhouse
Operations - Dish Gardens
by Charles Sourby
HORTICULTURAL THERAPY PROGRAM PLAN
NAME OF PROGRAM: Greenhouse Operations
SESSION NUMBER: 8 DATE: STAFF: htr
SESSION TITLE: Dish Gardens
1. Planter dishes, assorted with drainage holes
2. Saucers for above dishes
3. Various small indoor tropical plants
4. Garden tools
5. Soil less mix
6. Spanish Moss
7. Watering cans
1. To use fine motor skills
2. To foster expression
3. To improve or maintain social skills
1. Following demonstration, participants will use hands and fine motor skill
to build a dish garden.
2. During each session, participants will choose planter dish, tropical plants, arrange them, plant them and decorate them 90% of the time.
3. During each session, participants will interact with peers and staff through conversation and eye contact as observed by therapist.
1. Demonstrate how to make a dish garden via segmented tasks
2. Distribute supplies & equipment.
3. Assist participants as needed
4. Water dish gardens
5. Encourage conversation between peers
6. Have participants discuss projects with group